Table of Contents | Oedipus the King Message Board | Oedipus at Colonus Message Board | Antigone Message Board | Downloadable/Printable Version
_____ 1. Sophocles warned Athens of its imminent downfall in his plays because
A. corruption and tyranny were
_____ 2. In the Golden Age of Greece, drama was expected to
A. help people forget their troubles
_____ 3. The action of each of the Oedipus plays is supposed to take place over
A. 2 hours
_____ 4. There is a plague in Thebes because
A. the gods are angry
_____ 5. The riddle of the Sphinx was, "Who moves on four in the morning, on two at noon, and on three in the evening?" The answer is
A. the sun
_____ 6. The prophecy that has always hung over Oedipus states that he will
A. have no children
_____ 7. A good example of dramatic irony in Oedipus the King is when
A. Creon is reluctant to reveal the oracles' messages
_____ 8. Oedipus finally accepts the truth about Laios' murderer when he hears it from
_____ 9. When Oedipus learns Polybos has died, he feels
I. relieved, because
the prophecy that he'll kill his father isn't true
A. I and II only
_____ 10. Physical blindness in these plays is a sign of
11. Trace the action of one of the plays by commenting on the structure of the episodes.
12. Sketch character portraits of Iocaste, Teiresias, and the shepherd. Discuss their roles, and comment on their relationships to Oedipus.
13. Discuss the purpose of Oedipus' blinding himself and its relationship to the theme of Oedipus the King.
14. Discuss the role of the Chorus. Cite specific examples of its "ideal spectator" function in commenting on the action.
15. Discuss Sophocles' use of the legend of Oedipus to express the theme, "man's fate determines his destiny."Table of Contents | Oedipus the King Message Board | Oedipus at Colonus Message Board | Antigone Message Board | Downloadable/Printable Version