Table of Contents | Oedipus the King Message Board | Oedipus at Colonus Message Board | Antigone Message Board | Downloadable/Printable Version
THE OEDIPUS TRILOGY
A STEP BEYOND
TESTS AND ANSWERS - MULTIPLE CHOICE QUIZ
_____ 1. Sophocles does not explain Oedipus' past in his plays because
A. his audience already knew it
_____ 2. The Chorus stands for
A. the conscience of the community
_____ 3. An antistrophe is
A. the letdown after the climax
_____ 4. At the beginning of the play Oedipus the King, Oedipus appears to be
A. a harsh but effective
_____ 5. The oracles are at
_____ 6. Oedipus was asked to be the king of Thebes because
A. he killed King Laios
_____ 7. Teiresias acts as
I. a fortune-teller
A. I and III only
_____ 8. Oedipus suspects that he is being plotted against by
A. Creon and Teiresias
_____ 9. Oedipus left his childhood home in Corinth because
A. he murdered a traveler at the crossroads
_____ 10. Oedipus is punished by the gods because
I. he denied the truth of the oracles
A. I, II, and III
11. Discuss the skill with which Sophocles builds suspense and intrigue throughout his plays.
12. Discuss Sophocles' numerous references to sight as a symbol of seeing and knowing the truth.
13. Compare and contrast Oedipus and Creon as potential tragic heroes.
14. Discuss the role of the two messengers in Oedipus the King.
15. Interpret the following lines of dialogue by the Chorus as the final moral statement of Oedipus the King:
Let every man in mankind's frailty Consider his last day; and let none Presume on his good fortune until he find Life, at his death, a memory without pain.Table of Contents | Oedipus the King Message Board | Oedipus at Colonus Message Board | Antigone Message Board | Downloadable/Printable Version