Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version
TESTS AND ANSWERS
_____ 1. Gulliver is forced to defend himself against
A. the royal dwarf
_____ 2. The episode with the Queen's maids of honor
A. reflects the moral behavior of English court ladies
_____ 3. Gulliver leaves the land of the giants when the
A. Kings orders his expulsion
_____ 4. Which is not true of the scientists of Laputa?
A. they need servants to remind them they are in the middle of a conversation
_____ 5. Which is an undertaking of the Academy of Projectors?
A. extracting sunbeams from cucumbers
_____ 6. The Struldbrugs are
A. happy because they live forever
_____ 7. The Houyhnhnms at first do not regard Gulliver as a Yahoo because of his
_____ 8. Gulliver explains to the Houyhnhnms that the rulers in his land govern
A. by virtue of their power of reasoning far beyond that of the brutish Yahoos
_____ 9. The most despicable characteristic of the Yahoos is
_____ 10. The visit to the country of the Houyhnhnms
A. leaves Gulliver insane
11. Discuss the ways in which Swift plays with notions of "big" and "small" in Gulliver's Travels.
12. Discuss Swift's handling of pride in the Travels.
13. What is the function of religion in Gulliver's Travels?
14. Discuss Swift and his relationship to the Enlightenment.
15. Why is Gulliver's Travels relevant today?