Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version
A STEP BEYOND
TESTS AND ANSWERS
_____ 1. Gulliver's Travels was intended as
A. a glorification of eighteenth-century England
_____ 2. Sizes and measurements in Lilliput become normal if we multiply everything by
_____ 3. Gulliver finds the Lilliputians
A. proud and corrupt
_____ 4. Gulliver falls into disfavor with the Emperor
A. because of the way he put out the palace fire
_____ 5. Gulliver's friend among the Lilliputian officials is
_____ 6. Which statement is true?
A. the King of Blefuscu turns out to be kinder than the Emperor of Lilliput
_____ 7. The Prince of Lilliput walked with a hobble because
A. he was born lame
_____ 8. Gulliver finds the size of the Brobdingnagians
A. magnifies their physical blemishes to the point of disgust
_____ 9. Which is true?
A. Gulliver is almost killed by a hazelnut thrown at him during his performance
_____ 10. After listening to Gulliver's account of life in England, the King
A. mildly reprimands him for inventing this "fiction"
11. Swift has been called one of the greatest satirists in the English language. Describe Swiftian satire.
12. On the basis of Gulliver's Travels, discuss Swift's notions of a good and just government.
13. Find support in the Travels for the statement, "Human nature is petty."
14. Find support in the Travels for the statement, "Human nature is magnanimous and just."
15. Discuss the limits of reason as found in Gulliver's Travels.