Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | MonkeyNotes
TESTS AND ANSWERS
_____ 1. A Chinese wife's most important function was to
A. look after the old parents
_____ 2. The one act that Wang feels guilty about toward O-lan is
A. letting her work in the fields after she has given birth
_____ 3. The first sign of the declining fortune of the House of Hwang is the
A. rude servants
_____ 4. Pear Blossom wants to become Wang Lung's concubine because she prefers
A. old men
_____ 5. Wang Lung's greatest desire in his later years is for
A. more grandchildren
_____ 6. Wang Lung's youngest daughter cries because
A. her doll is broken
_____ 7. The Good Earth is a novel characterized by
_____ 8. Wang Lung's strongest religious belief is in
A. the earth gods
_____ 9. In times of stress, Wang Lung's spirits are restored by
A. visiting Lotus Flower
_____ 10. Wang Lung switches from riksha pulling by day to hauling wagons at night because it
A. pays better
11. What is the Chinese family attitude toward elders? Give positive and negative sides to this tradition.
12. Discuss the practice of foot-binding: its origins, its role in the novel, and similarities to other cultural practices.
13. Discuss Wang Lung's changing relationship to the land as the novel progresses.
14. What evidence does The Good Earth give us about women's status in traditional China?
15. Wang Lung's fellow worker in the city says: "When the rich are too rich, and when the poor are too poor, there is a way." What does he mean? Give examples to back up your answer.