Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | MonkeyNotes
A STEP BEYOND
TESTS AND ANSWERS
_____ 1. Wang's love for Lotus cools when he sees the ways he
A. picks her teeth
_____ 2. When O-lan realizes she is dying, her principal request is
A. to have Wang renounce Lotus
_____ 3. Wang's term of endearment for his first daughter is
A. "poor fool"
_____ 4. Pearl Buck's model for The Good Earth was
A. Charles Dickens
_____ 5. Wang's fortunes are determined by
A. his scolding of the earth gods
_____ 6. Wang supplies opium to his uncle to
A. cure the uncle's toothache
_____ 7. The eldest son persuades Wang to move into the Hwang mansion because
A. he wants finer quarters for his wife
_____ 8. Wang Lung's lifelong, overriding passion is
A. the land
_____ 9. The favor Wang asks of his last mistress, Pear Blossom, is
A. care for him in his old age
_____ 10. Wang works at pulling a riksha in the city because
A. he can make more money than in any other way
11. Why does the Hwang family decline, and how does Wang Lung's family appear to be similarly doomed?
12. Compare the roles of wife and concubine in Wang Lung's household.
13. What forms of religion does Wang Lung practice and which is the most important to him?
14. Compare the relationships between Wang Lung and his two daughters.
15. Describe the circumstances in which O-lan kills her baby. How would you judge her act?