Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version
A STEP BEYOND
TESTS AND ANSWERS
_____ 1. Alonso Quixano is driven mad by
_____ 2. Sancho Panza becomes Don Quixote's squire because he
A. thinks he will become ruler of an island
_____ 3. The story of Anselmo and Camilla illustrates the
A. pain of unrequited love
_____ 4. Don Quixote's main reason for freeing the galley slaves is that he
A. believes they are victims of a wicked enchanter
_____ 5. Some major themes of Don Quixote are
I. illusion vs. reality
A. I & II only
_____ 6. Don Quixote's dream in the Cave of Montesinos is about the
A. impossibility of romantic love lasting forever
_____ 7. Dorothea is able to act the part of the princess because she
A. really does come from a noble family
_____ 8. Altisidora is
A. spiteful and self-centered
_____ 9. One good definition of quixotism is
A. the belief that one's own ideals are superior to everyone else's
_____ 10. Early in Part II of the novel Don Quixote learns that
A. the knights-errant he admires are fictional characters
11. What was Cervantes' view of religion?
12. How does Sancho Panza change and become "quixotized" in the course of the novel?
13. Discuss some different forms of humor in Don Quixote.
14. Why is the episode of the Cave of Montesinos sometimes called "Don Quixote's lie"? How does it differ from the adventures that precede it?
15. Discuss the mirror symbolism in Don Quixote.