Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | Barron's Booknotes
1. Explain John the Savage's beginning and why he wants to depart the Savage Reservation.
2. Contrast the brave new world as it exists with John's idealized version of the new world order.
3. What is the significance of the title of the novel and where does
it come from?
4. Compare and contrast Bernard and John.
5. Compare and contrast Bernard and Helmholtz.
6. Describe the Controller, Mustafa Mond.
7. Contrast the old world order with the brave new world. Who are the best symbols of each? Defend your answer with specifics from the novel.
8. What is the conflict in the novel and how is it resolved?
9. What is the attitude about sex in the brave new world? How do John, Lenina, and Linda handle their sexual relations in the novel?
10. What aspects of his age is Huxley criticizing in "Brave New World"? What aspects of our world are satirized in the novel?
11. Explain why brave new world becomes an anti-utopian novel.
12. What does Huxley criticize about science in the novel?
13. Do you believe that the novel has a satisfactory ending? Fully explain your answer.
14. What are some of the high technology gimmicks and comforts that exist in "Brave New World"? Have any of them come to pass?
15. Why do you think that Huxley criticizes the novel as not being whole or complete? Give specific from the novel to support your response.