Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | MonkeyNotes
A STEP BEYOND
TESTS AND ANSWERS
_____ 1. The specific Civil War battle that is recounted in the novel is
A. the Battle of Bull Run
_____ 2. Stephen Crane refrains from naming many of his characters in order to
A. stimulate the reader's creativity
_____ 3. Henry's mother had
A. discouraged him from enlisting
_____ 4. In giving advice, Henry's mother told him
I. never to shirk his duty
A. I and II only
_____ 5. When the veterans told stories of war, Henry
A. discounted their boasting
_____ 6. When Henry heard that his regiment would be going into combat, he asked
A. "Think any of the boys 'll run?"
_____ 7. Some critics suggest there is religious symbolism in
A. Henry's self-pity
_____ 8. When Henry said that he was "about to be measured," he was referring to the
A. issuance of Army uniforms
_____ 9. After the first bloody battle, Henry was
A. driven to despair
_____ 10. Prior to the first battle, Henry was
A. plagued by self-doubt
11. What is the meaning of the title, The Red Badge of Courage?
12. What is the meaning of courage in this book?
13. How does the character of the young soldier change in the course of the novel?
14. What is the role of nature in The Red Badge of Courage?
15. At the close of The Red Badge of Courage, the young soldier tells himself that "he was a man." Is he right? Why or why not?