Support the Monkey! Tell All your Friends and Teachers
Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version
A STEP BEYOND
TESTS AND ANSWERS
_____ 1. We gain an early insight into Lennie's problem when
_____ 2. When Steinbeck tells us that Lennie likes to pet things, he
is using the technique of
_____ 3. George can make Lennie feel bad by
_____ 4. George and Lennie felt that they were different from other
itinerant ranch hands because they
_____ 5. Milton and Small were
_____ 6. George explained Lennie's problem to everyone by saying
_____ 7. In his first meeting with both men, Curley was irritated because
_____ 8. The swamper characterized Curley's new bride as
_____ 9. One of the important developments of the plot was introduced
_____ 10. The story of Lennie's near disaster in the town of Weed
11. In many ways, Lennie is the central character in the book. Nearly all of the action and characters revolve around him. Discuss this idea.
12. Where does the title of the book come from? Why is the title appropriate?
13. Discuss how the ranch in Of Mice and Men is a microcosm of American society as a whole.
14. Steinbeck had originally planned to call the book Something That Happened. Explain why. Discuss which title you like best.
15. Discuss why the other characters in the book are suspicious or skeptical about the relationship between George and Lennie.