Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | MonkeyNotes
A STEP BEYOND
TESTS AND ANSWERS
_____ 1. Beowulf may have been first told by a scop who was a(n)
A. traveling entertainer
_____ 2. Two conflicting codes in this poem are
A. Christian and pagan
_____ 3. Beowulf sails to Denmark because
A. he wants to fight Grendel
_____ 4. Grendel is a descendant of
_____ 5. Hrothgar once fought with
A. King Higlac
_____ 6. The Finnsburg Episodes is told to bring up the theme of
A. I and III only
_____ 7. Beowulf kills Grendel's mother with
A. a shaft of holy light
_____ 8. Unlike Hrothgar, in his old age Beowulf seeks
A. a son figure
_____ 9. The dragon begins to attack the Geats because
A. a cup was stolen from its hoard
_____ 10. After Beowulf dies, we sense that the Geats will
A. use the treasure wisely
11. One of the major themes of Beowulf is the contrast between youth and age. Discuss.
12. Analyze the various aspects of Beowulf's personality. In what ways do you think he's a hero?
13. Analyze the structure of the poem. Focus on how the historical digressions fit into the main narrative.
14. Define the following terms: kenning, alliteration, litote.
15. Why is the code of ethics between warrior and king so important to Anglo-Saxon society?