Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version
A STEP BEYOND
TESTS AND ANSWERS
_____ 1. Newspeak
A. is a commentary on current events
_____ 2. Now that we have reached the year 1984, Orwell's novel
A. seems to have proven false as a prophecy
_____ 3. 1984
A. is an anti-Utopian novel
_____ 4. "The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism" was written by
A. Emmanuel Goldstein
_____ 5. The least influential group in the society of 1984 is
A. The Inner Party
_____ 6. Winston Smith's first act of rebellion is his
A. denouncing O'Brien
_____ 7. One of the party slogans is: Ignorance is
_____ 8. Oceania is in a state of war
A. to acquire economic benefits through victory
_____ 9. Winston Smith's job at the Ministry of Truth involves
A. altering past history to make it conform to Party doctrine
_____ 10. The Brotherhood
A. acts as the secret arm of the Party engaged in "internal police
11. Write about 1984 as Orwell's political message to the world. Why was it so important to him?
12. Is 1984 successful as fiction?
13. Write about George Orwell's view of sex, and of women in particular, as demonstrated in 1984.
14. How does Orwell use objects as symbols in telling his story?
15. How does the political concept of revisionism enter into the world of 1984?