Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | Barron's Booknotes
1. Discuss the social background of Pride and Prejudice. Explain how this background is important to the novel.
2. Who is the main protagonist of Pride and Prejudice and what/who is the antagonist. How is the conflict between them resolved?
3. Comment on the opening statement of the novel and elucidate on how it reveals the theme of the book.
4. Analyze the plot for its structure.
5. Explain how the title relates to the book.
6. Compare and contrast Jane and Elizabeth.
7. Compare and contrast Bingley and Darcy.
8. How does Austen develop the misunderstanding between Darcy and Elizabeth and how is it resolved?
9. Discuss Pride and Prejudice as an exposition of the life and manners of a microcosm of nineteenth -century English society.
10. Several characters in the plot are responsible for the Elizabeth-Darcy union. Who are they and what have they done, intentionally or unintentionally, to bring the couple together.
11. Explain all the different kinds of marriages that are seen in the novel. Which marriage does Austen seem to consider the most effective and why?