Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | Barron's Booknotes
1. Describe the nature of the bond between Cathy and Heathcliff. Does their love resemble that ordinarily found between a man and a woman? Fully explain your answer.
2. How has Emily Brontë dealt with the theme of revenge in Wuthering Heights?
3. What is the significance of the supernatural in Wuthering Heights?
4. Describe the part played by Nelly Dean in the story.
5. What are the ways in which Emily Brontë manages to elicit the reader's sympathy for Heathcliff, despite his wickedness?
6. The character of Heathcliff is, according to Charlotte Brontë, "a man's shape animated by a demon life." Explain this statement.
7. What is the effect of Heathcliff's brutality on the personalities of his various victims?
8. What are the two levels of conflict in the plot and how are each resolved?
9. Would you call the ending of the ending of the novel a comedy or a tragedy? Explain your response.
10. Although the story is told as a flashback, not in chronological order, the plot is still unified. How is this accomplished?
11. Compare and contrast Wuthering Heights and Thrushcross Grange.