Table of Contents | Message Board | Downloadable/Printable Version
1. Describe Thomas Black Bull, the protagonist of the novel.
2. What is Tomís main antagonist?
3. How does he overcome the antagonist?
4. Does the novel end in comedy or tragedy? Why?
5. Who is Blue Elk and what role does he play in the novel?
6. What influence do Bessie and George have over the protagonist?
7. What influence does Red Dillon have over the protagonist?
8. Compare and contrast Tomís two experiences as a shepherd.
9. Even though she appears only briefly, why is the All-Mother so important to Tom?
10. What are the major Themes of the novel and how are they developed?
11. What is the meaning of the title of the book?
12. Does the novel have any relevance to contemporary life? Explain your response.