Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version
1. Why does Thoreau choose to live at Walden Pond?
2. Describe the home that he builds for himself.
3. Name five of the animals/birds that Thoreau fully describes in the book. What does he learn from each of them?
4. Describe Walden Pond.
5. For each of the essays, give a one to three sentence summary of what Thoreau teaches.
6. Using specific examples, discuss some symbols in Nature that Thoreau sees as direct parallels to humans or society.
7. Explain the main reasons why Thoreau felt that American culture needs a revival.
9. Walden Pond is a symbol of purity. Explain how the symbol is developed and why it is important to the meaning of the book.
10. Explain the importance of the Bean-field.
11. What is Thoreau's evaluation of government? Why?
12. Is the end of Walden positive or negative? Fully explain your answer.
13. Explain the style of Walden.