Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version
1. Discuss the state of European society in the sixteenth century with special reference to English society as depicted by Hythloday in Utopia.
2. What are some of the precepts of Utopia society and how do they reflect on the conditions in English society?
3. What is More's idea of a perfect king and what is the reality? 4. What is More's idea of perfect councilors and what is the reality?
5. What is the Utopian justice system and how does it differ from the English system?
6. What does the role of communal life play in Utopia economically and socially?
7. Analyze the morality and philosophy of life espoused by Utopia in the novel. How does it differ from Christian ethics? How is it similar?
9. Write an essay on the Utopian religion. How does it depart from Christianity? How is it similar?
10. Write an essay on the character of Sir Thomas More as seen in Utopia. What role does he play in this book?
11. What role does the figure of Cardinal Morton play in Utopia?
12. What are some pros and cons to living in Utopia?
13. How does Machiavelli's ideas of success in political life clash with More's ideas of how a society should be run?