Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version
1. Justify the title The Turn Of The Screw by Henry James.
2. What is the function of the prologue of the tale?
3. Who is the real narrator of the novel? Why?
4. Who do you think is the protagonist of the novel? Why?
5. Why does the governess accept the job at Bly?
6. The governess is romantic and imaginative. Do you agree?
7. Give a character sketch of Mrs. Grose.
8. What is the significance of the letter of the headmaster of Miles’ school?
9. When and how does the ghost of Quint appear to the governess the first time?
10. Why does the governess get startled after hearing about Quint from Mrs. Grose?
11. How and Why does Miles play a prank on his teacher?
12. Describe Miles and Flora as children.
13. Why does the governess believe that the ghosts are trying to corrupt the children?
14. Why does the governess refrain from establishing contact with her employer?
16. Why does the governess change her mind about leaving Bly?
17. Why does the governess take Mrs. Grose towards the lake?
18. What happens at the lake?
19. Why does Mrs. Grose decide to leave Bly with Flora?
20. Why does the governess stay back at Bly?
21. Does Miles confess his mistake? How?
22. How does Miles meet with his end?
23. Contrast the governess and Mrs. Grose as characters.
24. Was the governess successful in her mission to protect the children?