Table of Contents | Message Board | Downloadable/Printable Version
1. Compare and/or contrast the basic characters of Janie's three husbands - Logan, Joe, and Tea Cake. Why does each marriage come to an end?
2. What is the symbolic meaning of the pear tree to
Janie? When does her pear tree blossom in the book?
3. What does Janie's grandmother teach her about love? Why does Janie reject her teachings after her first marriage?
4. Why is Janie's grandmother both a noble and pathetic character? Compare and/or contrast her to Janie's own mother.
5. Why is Janie called Mrs. Mayor in the book? Why does she resent it?
6. Describe what life is like living on the muck. Why doe Janie feel it is preferable to life in Eatonville?
7. Why is Janie on trial? What is the outcome?
8. When Janie returns home after Tea Cake's death, describe her state of mind. Why does she feel this way?
9. In spite of Tea Cake's tragic end, why does the story end as a comedy?
10. Contrast the philosophy of Mrs. Turner to the one espoused by Janie.