Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | Barron's Booknotes
1. Explain the lifestyle of the "lost generation" living in Paris as described in the novel.
2. What is the physical wound that Jake has? Explain how it affects in the course of the novel?
3. How does Jake become entangled with Brett Ashley?
4. Compare/contrast Robert Cohn to Jake Barnes.
5. What is the meaning of the word "aficionado"? Explain how the terms relate to Jake and to Montoya.
6. Explain the Hemingway code. Why is the bullfighter such a perfect code hero for Hemingway.
7. Brett Ashley has several "loves" in Pamplona. Explain who they are and what the relationship really is.
8. Why does Cohn call Jake a pimp? What is Jake's reaction to the insult?
9. Why would Brett Ashley say that love is hell on earth?
10. Contrast Jake's stay in the fishing village of Burguete to his stay in Pamplona.
11. Fully explain the Festival of San Fermin.
12. Explain what things Jake and Brett have in common.
13. Compare and contrast the performances of Romero and Belmonte.
14. Why does Brett call for Jake at the end of the novel?