Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version
1. Discuss Steppenwolf as a critique of bourgeois culture.
2. Show how the theme of the outsider is a major theme is Steppenwolf.
3. Comment on the two kinds of music presented by Hesse in Steppenwolf.
4. What evidence do you find in the novel for Hesse's hatred of war and technology ?
5. "Steppenwolf is a critique of German nationalism". Elaborate.
6. Discuss the use of imagery, symbolism and irony in Steppenwolf.
8. Compare and contrast Haller at the beginning of the novel to the way he is at the end.
9. Compare and contrast Haller to the Editor.
10. Compare and contrast Maria and Hermine. What does Haller learn from each of them?
11. What does Pablo teach Haller and how?
12. What the novel end on a hopeful note?
13. Describe three of the scenes that Haller experiences in the Magic Theater and state what he learns from each.