Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version
1. Mary Ann Evans called herself George Eliot. What evidence is found in the novel to indicate that she is a female author, rather than a male?
2. State the main theme of the novel and explain how it is developed in the story.
3. Contrast the character of Silas at the beginning of the novel to Silas at the end of the novel.
4. Compare and contrast the characters of Godfrey and Silas Marner.
6. The rustic people are seen repeatedly in the novel. List at least five times that they appear and explain their purpose.
7. Explain how Silas came to have a daughter when he is unmarried. How does she change his life?
8. What, according to George Eliot, is the relationship between an individual and the community as portrayed in the novel?
9. Compare/contrast the religious beliefs of three of the characters in the novel. How do those beliefs influence the behavior of the characters?
10. Explain four examples of irony in the novel.
11. Explain the significance of money to the plot of the book.