Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | Barron's Booknotes
1. Compare and contrast Finny and Gene.
2. Fully explain why Gene is considered the protagonist of the novel rather than Finny.
3. Explain how The Second World War functions as an important event throughout the novel.
4. In your opinion, was Gene's act of bouncing the limb an impulsive act or one of hatred? Explain your response.
5. How does the trial affect both Finny and Gene?
6. Describe the character of Leper. Why is he important to the novel?
7. What is the symbolic significance of the tree in the novel?
8. What is the difference between the two rivers mentioned in the novel? How is each a reflection of Gene? Be specific in your explanation.
9. 'This has nothing to do with me! Nothing at all! I don't care!' Who says these words? When and why does he say them?
10. How is jealousy brought out as a theme in the novel?
11. Why does the plot end as a tragic comedy?
12. Why is Finny becoming a cripple the absolute worst punishment for him?
13. Contrast the setting of Devon with what is going on in the world.