Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version
1. Bring out the significance of the title The Secret Sharer. What do Leggatt and the Captain share and how does that effect the outcome of the story?
2. Bring out the conflict between the official society and the outlaw in The Secret Sharer. What is the moral dilemma that the Captain faces?
3. Discuss the nocturnal theme in The Secret Sharer. What is the journey that the Captain undergoes and how does Leggatt facilitate it?
4. Analyze the major symbols in The Secret Sharer such as the hat, the scorpion, the suits, and discuss their significance in terms of the story's theme.
6. What figures of speech does Conrad use to develop his theme that everyone has a double or alter ego?
7. What function does the Skipper of Sephora play in the story?
8. Give examples of how Conrad uses tropes of doubling to emphasize his theme that everyone has a secret self or darker side.
9. Analyze the ending. How does the last sentence apply not only to Leggatt but the Captain as well?