Table of Contents | Message Board | Downloadable/Printable Version
1. What is the setting of the novel? Why is it important to the story?
2. . Describe the death of the red pony, Gabilan. What was the real underlying cause of the pony's death? What is Steinbeck's message behind the death?
3. Did Jody have any right/reason to blame Billy Buck for the death of Gabilan? Explain your answer.
4. Compare and contrast Carl Tiflin and Billy Buck. What is Jody's relationship to each of them?
5. How do the sudden appearance and the mysterious departure of Gitano affect Jody?
6. In what ways does Jody change after the death of Nellie, the mare?
7. Why is lemonade important to the novel?
8. What does grandfather teach Jody?
9. What does Jody learn in the course of the novel? Be specific.
10. Explain the major parallels used in the novel.