Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | Barron's Booknotes
1. What is the meaning of the title of the novel? How does it relate to Henry Fleming?
2. How is the plot of the novel structured?
3. Explain the changes that Henry goes through during his war experiences.
4. How does Wilson change in the novel?
5. How does the Tattered Soldier affect Henry?
6. What picture does Crane present of the military officers?
7. Explain how the theme of illusion vs reality is developed in the novel.
8. What comments does Crane make about war through the novel?
9. How is The Red Badge of Courage naturalistic?
10. What is the setting for the novel? What detail does Crane give about it? Why do you think he treats it in this manner?