Table of Contents | Message Board | Downloadable/Printable Version
Study Questions (answer key below)
1. Why does Orleanna marry Nathan?
A. She is madly in love with him.
2. What denomination were the Fowlers a part of?
3. What is Nathanís explanation for why the Fowlers left?
A. Their term was up
4. What religious ritual is Nathan most obsessed with?
5. Why do the people consistently resist baptism?
A. They donít understand it.
6. What is wrong with Nathanís garden?
A. There are too many weeds.
7. Which one of the girls longs to be close to her father?
8. Why is Anatole marked with a strange pattern on his face?
A. He is part of a bizarre cult
9. What does Ruth May find in Anatoleís plane?
10. Which of the girls is the first to come across evidence of pending war?
A. Ruth May
11. The "boy scouts" who are practicing their march are probably
A. Young soldiers of the nationalist movement.
12. What mechanism is used for a voting ballot among the Congolese people?
13. What unfortunate gift does Anatole give to Leah?
A. A dead rabbit
14. What white convention does Tata Ndu use against the white people?
15. What class of Kilanga people make up the congregation of Nathanís church?
A. The women
16. Why does Tata Ndu suddenly appear to become friendly with the Price family?
A. He has been converted
17. Why does Orleanna save Ruth May from the ants instead of Adah?
A. She loves Ruth May the best
18. Why does Rachel remain in Africa?
A. She believes she would no longer fit in at home.
19. Where is Ruth Mayís hiding place?
A. A little box
20. Why does Orleanna tell her story?
A. For the art of story telling