Table of Contents | Message Board | Downloadable/Printable Version
1. Compare and contrast the Socs and the Greasers.
2. Which gang is portrayed more favorably and how?
3. Describe Pony as a character during most of the book. What change does he undergo during the novel and why? What is he like at the conclusion of the story?
4. Compare and contrast Soda and Darry. Why are they both important to Pony's development?
5. Johnny is portrayed as the meekest, mildest, and most sensitive of the Greasers. Give details from the book to support this description. Why is he this way? How do the other Greasers treat him and why?
6. Explain some of the things that Dally does that makes him the meanest member of the Greasers.
7. What has made him this way? Explain if he has any redeeming features?
8. Do you feel the book has too much violence in it? Explain your answers, using details form the book as support.
9. Though flawed, The Outsiders is an honest and sensitive portrayal of children living on the wrong side of town. Explain why you agree or disagree with this assessment of the novel.
10. What are the Themes of the novel and how are they developed?
11. Is The Outsiders still relevant today? Explain your answer.
12. Do you think it is obvious that the novel is the first effort of a sixteen year old author? Support your answer with details from the book.