Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | Barron's Booknotes
1. Discuss the role of fate and free will as addressed in Oedipus Rex. In other words, is Oedipus always determined by his fate or are there particular instances where he could have prevented his tragic downfall?
2. 'Fate is character.' Discuss this theme in reference to the play.
3. Discuss the role of the minor characters in Oedipus Rex such as the Theban and Corinthian shepherd. What is their function in the play?
4. What is the function of the chorus in Greek tragedy?
5. Is the punishment meted out to Oedipus fair? Why or why not?
6. Describe Creon and what his function in the play is.
7. Are there any places where Jocasta acts towards Oedipus in a way which could be interpreted as maternal?
8. How is dramatic irony used in Oedipus Rex? Provide some instances of dramatic irony in the play.
9. Analyze the metaphors of sight and blindness in this play.