Table of Contents | Message Board | Downloadable/Printable Version
1. Compare and contrast the reactions of the family members of the Samsa household after Gregor's transformation. Compare and contrast their reactions to Gregor's reaction.
2. How does the opening of the story affect the entire tone of the story?
3. Discuss the changing state of Gregor's room and comment on its thematic implications.
4. Trace the development of Grete's character, using specific examples to show her changing attitude toward Gregor.
5. Each time Gregor leaves his room, he encounters a personal tragedy. Explain what happens to him at the end of each section.
6. Describe the reactions of the three lodgers when they see Gregor.
7. What does the picture on Gregor's wall mean to him? The furniture in his room?
8. Do you think the ending is hopeful or bleak? Explain, using examples.
9. What are the main Themes of the story?
10. How does Kafka unify his story?
11. What autobiographical elements are there in the story?