Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | Barron's Booknotes
1. Is Shylock justified in his hatred for Antonio?
2. Explain the test of the caskets.
3. What superior values does mercy have over justice?
4. What are the hypocrisies of the Christian society in the play?
5. Explain the significance of the trial scene. What are the comic interludes provided and how do they provide relief?
6. Discuss the characters of Antonio and Shylock, underlining their similarities and differences.
7. What is Portia's role in the play?
8. In Act IV, Scenes 7 & 8, how is the quarrel between King Henry and Williams settled? What principles of morality does it affirm?
9. Comment on Antonio’s motivation. Are his stated motives sufficient to account for his words and actions in the play? What hidden motives might we suspect?
10. What characters do you think are the most coveted roles in the play? Why?