Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | Barron's Booknotes
1. At the beginning of the play, explain what Macbeth is like as a character.
2. Explain where the witches appear in the play and why they are important.
3. Why does Malcolm flee to Scotland?
4. Who is more eager to kill Duncan--Lady Macbeth of her husband? Explain why.
5. The banquet scene is extremely important to the plot of the play. Explain why.
6. Macbeth's fatal flaw is greed. Explain how it is his undoing.
7. What is Lady Macbeth's personality? How does she contribute to her husband's downfall?
8. How is the theme of appearance vs. reality developed in the play?
9. Contrast the characters of Macbeth with Banquo.
10. Macbeth hears a prophesy that he will be safe until "Birnam Wood" comes to Dunsinane. How does this prophesy affect Macbeth? Explain how the prophesy comes true.
11. Why does Macbeth have Lady Macduff and her children murdered? What does this reveal about Macbeth?
12. Ross serves as a messenger in the play. Explain the messages that he delivers.
13. What happens to Lady Macbeth at the end of the play? 14. Which character is not "born of woman"? Why is this information important to the play?
15. List at least three of the symbols that Shakespeare has used in writing the play and why they are important.