Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version
1. Why does Jo drop her writing after she marries Professor
Bhaer?( Simply being busy with the boy’s home is probably not the only reason.)
2. Characterize each sister at the beginning and at the end of the story. What were the major events that effected the changes in each?
3. The novel has several frame stories or "plots within a plot." Discuss two or three of these, and mention the similarities and differences among them.
4. Why doesn’t the narrator give Mr. March a more active role in the family once he is home? He is certainly capable of working once he regains his health.
6. How is the spirit of female independence both promoted and subdued in the novel?
7. How typical is the role of Mr. March when he is compared with other males in the story?
8. Is the narrator successful in her attempts to denigrate the lifestyles of the wealthy?
9. Does the angelic character of Beth "work"?
10. What is ironic about Jo’s inheritance of Plumfield?