Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | Barron's Booknotes
1. Compare and contrast to the Bilbo in chapter one to the Bilbo at the end of the novel.
2. Analyze and comment on the way in which Tolkien presents the dwarves, with particular regard to the transformation they undergo after they possess their treasure.
3. What is the most important climax of The Hobbit? Be sure to support your answer by considering all the action and the various Themes which are interwoven throughout the plot.
4. Compare and contrast Thorin and the Elvenking, discussing especially how they are portrayed as leaders and how they respond to the lust for gold.
5. Discuss the significance of the Gollum-Bilbo episode and analyze how it has a bearing on subsequent events.
6. Gandalf, though not the central character, plays an important role in The Hobbit. Fully explain his importance, giving details. 7. Explain how The Hobbit can be read both as a children's book and as an adult novel.
8. How is The Hobbit an example of romance writing?
9. What are the themes treated by Tolkien in The Hobbit and how
are they developed?