Table of Contents | Message Board | Downloadable/Printable Version
1. Discuss the gradual development of Montag throughout the plot. Compare and contrast him to Beatty.
2. Make a list of the people in the novel who contribute to Montag's growing self-awareness and explain what they teach him.
3. Explain the relationship of the title of the book to its meaning.
4. Explain some of the futuristic (fantastic) technological advances seen in the novel.
5. Describe Mildred and contrast her to Montag and Clarisse.
6. What does the old lady represent to Montag and how does she affect him?
7. Is Beatty hypocritical? Fully explain your answer.
8. What do you consider to be the most important theme of the novel? Why? How is it developed?
9. Explain the images of death, suicide, and murder in the novel. What are their relationships to the totalitarian society?
10. Fully explain the image of fire/burning and how it is repeatedly used in the novel.
11. Fully describe the Mechanical Hound and how it is used? Do you feel it is effective? Why?
12. How does Bradbury build suspense in the novel?
13. Why is the novel a tragedy? What one small ray of hope is there at the end?
14. Explain the meaning of each of the three titles given to the parts of the book.
15. Explain the importance of the phoenix symbol to the novel.