Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version | Barron's Booknotes
1. Describe how Vevey, Switzerland is described in the book. Why is it an appropriate setting?
2. Describe Daisy Miller as a character.
3. Give five instances of Daisy defying "proper" social conduct. Why does she behave in such a manner?
4. Explain the relationship that exists between Daisy and her mother.
5. There are two important men in Daisy's life in the book. Who are they and what is Daisy's relationship to each of them?
6. Who is Mrs. Walker? What does she symbolize in the book? How does she treat Daisy and why?
7. Is Daisy an innocent young lady? Fully defend your answer.
8. Explain the circumstances of Daisy's death. Who do you think is really to blame?
9. The story is filled with fully developed, intentional contrasts. Explain at least three of these contrasts.
10. What was the reaction to the book when it was first published and why?