Table of Contents | Message Board | Printable Version
ESSAY TOPIC IDEAS / ESSAY THESIS TOPICS
1. Discuss the authorís choice of the title Across Five Aprils.
2. Describe Jethroís transition from boy to man using specific examples from the story.
3. Select a battle discussed in the novel and research its strategic significance to the North and the South.
4. What was the Union disadvantage at Fredericksburg? What was the advantage at Gettysburg?
5. Why did it seem that Sherman had disappeared?
6. How might Jethroís transition to manhood have been different if Matt Creighton did not have a heart attack?
7. Discuss Ross Miltonís perspective on the war and why he might have those opinions.
8. What motivated Shermanís men to behave so destructively as they moved through the South?
9. Outline the significant events of each April in the novel.
10. Write a historically accurate epilogue to Jethroís story.